Wednesday, December 4, 2013

BLOG #3- Children and Adoption

In our unit on adoption I found it interesting when Dubinsky critiques two of the dominant narratives that have characterized debates about transnational adoption. One she describes adoption as a "rescue" of a needy child, or two as a "kidnap" of a child by those who are more powerful and have the means to coerce children from their families. 
She argues that we should understand adoption first and foremost as a reproductive technology.
Adoption is a common thing in my family and with many of my friends. So first I have to say that I don’t necessarily agree with Dubinsky. I think that adoption is such a detailed topic that can be discussed that it all depends on the circumstance.
I often read in my other classes about the amount of children in foster care and in orphanages. Many children who are without families all over the world, even here in Canada! I don’t agree that adoption as “first and foremost” as a reproductive technology per-se. There are many families that can still have children that choose adoption to extend their love and support out to those children less fortunate. I wouldn’t refer to it as a “rescue.”
I also know personally how adoption is the only way to have a family when a couple is infertile. My cousin tried everything to get pregnant and she just couldn’t. I few years back her and her husband decided to adopt. The process was very detailed and took a very long time. The two boys were moved around a lot as babies from different foster parents. Their biological mother was too unstable to take care of them. My cousin and her husband have a wonderful life for these boys. They are doing well in school, they are in sports and ever since being brought to their new home they have called my cousin Mom. I find this so touching knowing that not only do these boys have a future with a family, they themselves have helped my cousin have a family J
A close friend of mine just met her half-sister. Years ago her mother had a child at the age of 16 and was too young to take care of her so she put her up for adoption. Her sister searched for her biological mother and recently both families met. Her adoptive parents also were infertile at the time and she was the best thing that ever happened to them. Now years later the sisters are close and the two families have come together during the birthdays and holidays.

When the article talks about Madonna and refers it as a "kidnap" of a child by those who are more powerful and have the means to coerce children from their families. Again I feel that it depends on the circumstance. Sometimes adoption can confuse children’s identity when taken away from their own cultures and traditions.  I believe that if a child is abandoned and not being taken care of then adoption from people from more well off countries is ok. However, I don’t think that a child should be ripped away from their families by the choice of people with higher power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment